Our usual business of looking after the safety and security of 25 million people across music venues, events, sports and festivals is, of course, on hold right now, however, whilst the return of events and hospitality is subject to lockdown restrictions being eased, we’re anticipating a significant return over the coming months.
Due to this increased business and new growth, we’re now looking for experienced security persons to join our Supervisory team in the Edinburgh area. You will help in supervising teams of up to 20 people at mass vaccination centres, concerts, exhibitions, large events and festivals.
In the immediate, we’re currently supporting the NHS with the vaccine roll out programme at mass centres. A new mass vaccination centre is expected to be open at the Royal Highland Centre, Ingliston, in April and will continue for the length of the roll out programme. This centre will operate 7 days per week, with shifts generally 12 hours long (typically 7:30am to 7:30pm on days; 7:30pm to 7:30am on nights). The work is based mainly indoors but some outdoor work is expected within parking areas and other parts of the giant complex; staff facilities are in place with welfare provisions though.
Going forward into Summer, we’re seeing an ever-growing calendar of large events that we would want you to support us with, including (so far or that we can tell you about about):
- Royal Highland Show Live 2021
- Terminal V Presents multi-event series in August
- Out East Festival, a new 2-day festival at Gosford House in August
- Additionally, we’re now the Security & Crowd Management provider for the wonderful Edinburgh Corn Exchange venue, which will hopefully reopen its doors over summer for a packed event calendar.
- We also have various venues and events happening from May onwards in the Glasgow area, if you’re up for crossing the M8, including the extremely busy SWG3 Glasgow and O2 Academy Glasgow
As a Security Supervisor, we would expect you to lead and motivate your team, often as part of a wider management team but there may also be occasions when you are the lead person at small-medium sized events. You will become confident in briefing your team, ensuring that they understand their roles and responsibilities, that they’re all following Showsec and venue/event policies and working effectively. Most importantly, you’re there to support your team, and to help and develop them.
On starting work with Showsec, we would want you to begin as an SIA Door Supervisor, giving us a chance to get to know each other and understand your ambitions, experience and strengths. You would then have the opportunity to take part in our Supervisor training programme, before being signed off to work in a Supervisory role operationally. We would aim to have you completed Supervisor training programme within 4 weeks after starting work. You will be offered both Supervisor and Door Supervisor shifts at times, for example, if there is an event but all Supervisor shifts are filled, we would expect you to be open about working as a Door Supervisor but it would be your choice if you want to work or not.
It is casual employment, so the choice of how often to work is entirely up to you, whether you’re looking for 1 shift or 5 shifts per week (or anything in between). Whether you’re an experience Security Supervisor or someone looking to take the next steps in their career, or both, we’d love to welcome you into the UK’s leading services supplier in Events and Crowd Management.
This is an opportunity to get an early foot in the door with Showsec in Edinburgh, as we continue to grow and develop business in the area. We’re dedicated to trying to development, training and progression, and would work closely with you to try and get you to the levels that you want to achieve. We have secure work available now, at vaccine centres, and huge amounts of work at very busy medium-large venues and events in the near future, for the longer-term.
- You will need a valid in-date SIA Door Supervisor licence in order to be considered for this role
- Due to the pandemic, we are not currently interviewing face-to-face. Instead you will be required to undertake a video interview. Please DO NOT apply for this role if you are not willing to take a video interview. Thank you.
What you will be doing
- Briefing your team/deployment
- Supporting your team during operations
- Completion of supervisor reports
- Supervising areas of an event/operation
- Helping to mentor and develop teams within venues
- Ensuring that your team understand and complete their roles and responsibilities
- Liaising with Heads of Security and sometimes external stakeholders
What Showsec can offer you
- A rate of pay of up to £11.26 per hour inclusive of indicative holiday pay of £1.21 per hour. It is indicative because holiday pay is accrued at 12.07% for every hour worked, but calculated in accordance with your average hourly rate over the previous 52 weeks
- The opportunity to join our casual staff pension scheme
- Plenty of Supervisor shift availability
- Ability to work additional shifts as an SIA Door Supervisor (when Supervisor shifts may be covered)
- Flexibility to choose your own shifts and work around your existing commitments
- Attendance on a bespoke made Supervisor Training Programme
- Access to fully funded industry-leading training modules and courses
- A fantastic working team and culture to enjoy
- Continued professional development
- Regular monthly pay by BACS into your account
- An online portal to plan your shifts and access to our team communications platform 24 hours a day
- Plenty of career progression opportunities – we value development!
What we need from you
- A valid in-date SIA Door Supervisor licence
- Passion for customer service – attitude is everything
- A willingness to learn and develop
- Strong verbal communication skills
- A desire to help in mentoring others
- Ability to work autonomously and within a larger team
- Some experience leading teams (preferable)